Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy New Year... The Countdown to Spring Training




I peer out my penthouse window and see a guy pushing a snowblower along the sidewalks leading to the entrance to the condo, clearing a path through the 10 centimetres of snow that have fallen since last night. Another man with a snow shovel follows a few steps behind him, cleaning up stray clumps of snow and slush. Over near the entrance to the driveway, a third man unloads a mini plow from a trailer hitched to the back of a U-Haul truck.

It's a small condo, but clearing this much snow is a big job.


Forty one days... not that I'm counting or anything.

* I didn't take that photo, btw. That's Finch Ave. in Toronto. Pic lifted from Flickr*

Anyway, I'm back from my blog holiday and judging from the plummeting number of hits I'm receiving, you guys didn't miss me much.

That's okay. We've got all year to get re-acquainted.

I know you guys all want to know what I did with my holidays, so I'll tell you:

Not much.

I ate a lot and slept a lot, watch a little football and didn't touch my computer except for the occasional email check, which explains why you folks didn't find me here, one facebook or anywhere else on the web.

I did, however, work out with a world champion athlete, and I had a lot of fun doing it. 

But it was damn hard work.


It's because they train harder and longer and smarter than anyone with a  9-to-5 ever could. I'm talking three hours per session. Most days the warm up alone would is a workout in itself, and more than enough to exhaust even the most fit "civilians." Believe me when I say there's no better way to keep your holiday weight in check than to train like a pro. 

I managed not to embarrass myself too badly during those sessions at York U, and until my hamstring popped last Saturday, it's fair to say I held my own. And I intend to do it again.

Once this damn thing heals.

Meanwhile, I'll focus on my real career.

Some of you may have noticed already, but just before 2008 ended I became a columnist.

No, not at the Star. As we discussed a few weeks ago, the type of columnist gig I (used to) aspire to may not even exist by the time I'm able to earn one.

Instead, I'm the new back-page columnist for Sway magazine, which you'll recognize from local newsstands if you live in Toronto. And if you're not, then picture a magazine that's part Essence (because it's aimed at youngish, upwardly mobile black folks) and Metro (because it's free).


If you have the time, give it a read... and I know you have the time because you're burning minutes reading this blog instead of working or typing an essay or whatever other productive thing you're supposed to be doing right now.

So yeah, read it and whether you love it or you hate it, let the editors know how you feel. Any feedback is good feedback.

I'm trying to build a brand here.

Yeah I took some time of but that hasn't changed.

This is about Morgan Inc.

Check back later.






No comments: