Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Spring Training



Ever since I announced on this blog that I'd be covering Major League Baseball in 2009, I know all four of my fans have been eager for me to release the details of my travel schedule.

Relax, mom and sisters. I'll see you guys this weekend, since I'm always in your town.

That leaves one reader, whoever you are. 

For the next two months I'll be right here in the Toronto area, doing whatever sportswriters do when they're not at work -- mostly thinking about what I'll do when I return to work, while dodging phone calls from work.

After that, I head to spring training to cover the world famous Toronto Blue Jays.

I arrive Feb. 18 and stay till March 12. Then it's back to the newsroom for two weeks before I head back for the final week of spring training, March 28 to April 5.

The Jays train in Dunedin, which is the hometown of the most famous short guy in the history of Toronto sports, former Argonauts player and coach Michael "Pinball" Clemons. Our condo -- yes, my rich uncle rents us a condo for the event -- is down the road in Clearwater.

Now how often I'll enjoy Clearwater sunsets like the one pictured above still isn't clear. It's not like I'm there on vacation. As the rookie on the baseball beat I'm looking to hit some line drives in the top of the first and let folks know I belong in the Majors. 

And that means hustling.

So if I miss a few sunsets, so be it. I'm finally up in the big leagues and gettin' my turn at bat!

Besides, if you know me then you know I always find time for salsa.


Not saying I'm as slick as those two, but I do my thing. So if any of you know of any salsa clubs in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater/Dunedin area, feel free to let me know. 

Of course I'm going down there focused on the job, but damn... a month is a long time to ask a man to be alone with nothing with baseball to keep him company.




No comments: